If we were to ask you the following questions, how would you respond?
- When you think of your own funeral, do you want it to be somber and small, or more like a party celebrating your life?
- What songs would you like to be played?
- Are there any special readings you’d want featured?
- Do you have specific people in mind to participate?
- How about a reception afterward? Can you picture your loved ones sharing your favorite foods in your honor, and even having a toast with your favorite wine or beer?
Many Milwaukeeans may find themselves surprised by the strong opinions they have while considering their own end-of-life arrangements. Here at Krause Funeral Home, we’ll make sure these wishes and preferences become a reality.
- You can take your time to consider your options. If you think about it, most funerals are put together quickly while the family is in a state of duress. After a loved one dies, those closest to them gather to sort through the 100+ decisions that need to be discussed. When you make many of these decisions yourself ahead of time, you have the luxury of considering each element. This includes the details that might get overlooked if someone else plans your funeral.
- You can ease your family’s stress. Many families we talk with in Milwaukee, Brookfield, and New Berlin are caught off guard by the emotions they experience after a loved one’s death. There’s no way to predict how a death will affect you – and the grief process is often much more challenging than expected. Imagine your family trying to figure out what you would have wanted at your funeral. They probably would not agree on every detail, which can lead to conflict as each person thinks they know best. When these decisions are already made, you can eliminate the need for your family to debate, discuss, and guess what you would have wanted. Think of how much easier it will be on your family if the funeral plans are already in place.
- You will be in control of the finances. There is a common misconception that if you choose to preplan, you also have to prepay. At Krause Funeral Home, that is not the case. If you prefer, we can simply save all of your preferences for when the time comes. There are advantages to prepaying, including taking the burden of paying for the service from your family’s shoulders. It’s common knowledge that those who are grieving often throw caution to the wind and spend more during times of duress. This won’t be an issue if your decisions are already in place.
- Your information will be easily accessible. We’ve heard many stories about a loved one who left end-of-life directions in their will or a safe deposit box – but these were not opened or read until after the funeral. When you preplan, you can have confidence your wishes will be at the ready precisely when they are needed.
- You will have peace of mind knowing your preferences will be honored. Because we will keep a detailed list of all your plans on file at no cost, you can walk away relieved that your arrangements are in place exactly as you envisioned.
Like with so many other parts of life, a little planning now pays off later. Whether you’d feel more comfortable with a large funeral or a smaller, private service, whether you prefer cremation or traditional burial, your preferences will be followed. In all our years helping preplan, one thing has remained the same: No one ever regrets putting their arrangements in place – and we’ve made the process as easy as possible.
You can preplan using our online form, by appointment over the phone or video chat, or in person at one of our four locations. We even have a preplanning checklist available that outlines all of the documents needed to complete the arrangement process. We encourage you get started today to simplify your own life and the lives of those closest to you.