We’re meeting more and more Milwaukeeans who say they don’t want a “typical” funeral. What does this mean? When people come to Krause Funeral Homes to put their funeral arrangements in place ahead of time, they include traditional elements like a visitation, ceremony, and burial – but they also want to integrate as many personal details as possible. For those of us who are proud to be native Milwaukeeans, or are transplants who now consider Milwaukee home, our staff offers these creative ideas for honoring your life – and our wonderful city.
- Use our Harley Davidson motorcycle hearse. We are the only funeral home in Wisconsin to offer families an alternative to the traditional hearse — a 19th century-style hearse drawn by a V-twin-powered 3-wheel Harley Davidson Road King motorcycle. For no additional charge, we help create a unique remembrance for the motorcycle enthusiast or anyone who would appreciate the nostalgia of a horse drawn carriage.
The first time our motorcycle hearse was driven was to a 97-year-old woman’s committal service. It has made its way to Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio for funerals and participated in Harley Davidson’s 105th Anniversary celebration. Our motorcycle hearse also accompanies veterans in various Milwaukee parades to honor those who died while serving our country.
- Set out a Milwaukee team jersey as a guestbook. Most families have a guest book at the visitation so they can see and remember how many people have been touched and affected by their love one’s life. Instead of – or in addition to – the traditional guest book, you could display a jersey featuring your beloved Milwaukee team along with a marker for signatures. What a beautiful memento a framed and signed Bucks or Brewers (or Panthers or Golden Eagles) jersey would be for those left behind.
- Plan a toast featuring your favorite Milwaukee beer. Did you know we’re the first funeral home in Wisconsin to obtain a state license to offer in-house catering facilities, including beer and wine? Let us arrange a visitation or reception with everything from hors d’oeuvres and a buffet to soft drinks, beer, and wine – all from the comfort of our beautiful facilities.
- Hand out a keepsake made in Milwaukee. Many people have a special keepsake distributed at their funeral, such as a packet of seeds for a flower they love or a bookmark featuring a notable quote or passage of Scripture. Imagine how moved your loved ones would be to receive a locally made product they know you’ve enjoyed over the years. There are edible options like cheese, jam, or chocolate, or non-edible ideas like a card drawn by a local artist or a customized candle.
- Create a tribute video showcasing Milwaukee destinations. Seeing photographs at a funeral – especially when they include images of a loved one who has died – brings back memories and opens a door to the past. Compiling photos featuring notable Milwaukee locations can make the memories even sweeter. Perhaps you have photos taken at Summerfest, a beer garden, the lakefront, an Admiral’s game, and any other events or places that speak to a love of our wonderful city.
If you are interested in preplanning your own funeral arrangements, it’s never been easier. You can select your preferences from the comfort of home using our online planning form, or get in touch with us anytime to set up a meeting at one of our four convenient locations in New Berlin, Brookfield, and in Milwaukee on Capitol Drive and Brown Deer Road. As we like to say, you plan for every other important event in life, why not your funeral? Reach out to us today.