There’s no doubt about it – the staff here at Krause Funeral home love the holidays! It’s so much fun to get out in the community here in Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties and enjoy shopping, special events, and visits with friends and family. Unfortunately, there are some people who will take advantage of those moments when we’re distracted by the fun and festivities to inflict harm. While we don’t want to encourage fear, it’s important to know how to protect ourselves and our loved ones.
So, in the interest of helping our neighbors, here are some tips for staying safe….
- Keep a close eye on children, and make sure they know who to go to (security guard, store clerk) and what phone number to call if you should get separated.
- Always lock your car, and conceal shopping bags in the trunk if possible.
- Before you leave the store or mall, have your keys in hand, and be aware of your surroundings. Be wary of any strangers approaching you in a parking lot or in a store.
- Try not to shop at night, but if you have to, don’t go alone.
- Don’t carry large amounts of cash or wear expensive jewelry.
…while at home:
- Be sure your doors and windows are always locked – even during holiday parties. It’s too easy for someone to slip in and blend in amongst the festive crowd.
- It might be tempting to throw open those blinds so your neighbors can view your beautiful tree and holiday decorations. Unfortunately, that also gives potential thieves the opportunity to check out Dad’s new big screen TV or the pile of presents for the kids under the sparkling tree. To be safe, keep blinds and curtains closed, or if you must show off your holiday spirit, at least make sure no gifts or expensive items are within view.
- Never feel obligated to open the door if you don’t recognize the face on your doorstep – even if they claim to have a special holiday package for you.
- Get to know your neighbors. It’s a perfect time to bring over a plate of cookies and visit. Neighbors can keep an eye on each other’s homes while the other is traveling.
- Ask a trusted friend to pick up mail and newspapers while you’re gone.
- Consider leaving a few lights, or even the TV, on while you’re gone so potential thieves will think you’re home.
…while shopping online:
- Make sure your computer has antivirus software and a firewall installed.
- Before you enter that credit card number to complete a purchase, look to see the site is secure. Look for a little closed padlock on your web browser’s address bar, or check to see that the URL begins with https. You’ll see both in your address bar while on the Krause website. Whether you purchase flowers or other merchandise through us or preplan your funeral arrangements, all of your personal and financial information is secure.
- Never send cash through the mail or wire money for an online purchase.
- Save records of all your online transactions, and check them against your credit card statements.
At Krause Funeral Home, your family’s safety and health is important to us. That’s why our commitment to you lasts long after our service to you is over. We want you all to have fun and make great memories this holiday season!
What are some things you do to stay safe during this busy season? Share your ideas in the comments below.