Offer to Help
When a loved one dies, there is so much to manage. Errands, driving kids to and from school, and cooking meals can all seem overwhelming when planning a funeral and mourning a loved one.
Perhaps the most gracious gesture is providing specific help. Instead of saying, “Let me know how I can help,” offer practical assistance.
- Answer the phone and greet visitors
- Notify family friends about funeral arrangements
- Pick up out-of-town visitors from the airport
- Cook and deliver a meal or coordinate others to deliver meals
- Provide transportation to the funeral events
- Provide pet or childcare
- Run errands
- Keep young children occupied at the visitation or service
- Help with household tasks (lawn care, snow removal, driving)